Your privacy is important to us. As the Internet offers the ability to collect certain types of information, we want you to understand what information we gather, how we use it, and how to correct or change it.
Where a defined term is used in this policy and it is not defined in this policy it will have the meaning given to it in the Website Terms.
1. Collection of Information
1.1 We and our group companies gather various information about customers and users of our services, this Website, any Affiliated Websites and any services provided on or through the Affiliated Websites. We may collect the following types of information:
- first and last names
- physical address
- email address
- age or birthdate
- phone number
- information regarding your purchases
- card or account details
- content you post or upload to the Website or Affiliated Websites
- information about content you access on the Website or Affiliated Websites
- any other information relating to you that you provide to us directly through the Website or Affiliated Websites
- any other information relating to you that you provide to us through other methods (such as discussions with our customer service team) or that is publicly available.
1.2 We sometimes obtain additional information about you from other sources (where such information is publicly available or where those other sources are authorised to provide it to us) to help us improve the relevance of our communications to you.
1.3 We also collect aggregated data to measure traffic to the Website and optimise your experience with us. This data does not include any personal information or identify individuals.
1.4 If you don’t provide personal information when we request it, this may result in certain parts of the Website, Affiliated Websites or services not being available to you.
2. Use of Information
2.1 Any personal information you provide may be used for the following purposes:
- to send you emails that you have subscribed to through your nominated email address;
- to obtain feedback on any Product you have ordered;
- to contact you as part of the transaction process when placing a Product Order;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of the Website or Affiliated Websites, when you choose to do so;
- to monitor, develop and improve the Website and Affiliated Websites and ensure that content of the Website and Affiliated Websites is presented in the most effective way;
- to keep the Website and Affiliated Websites relevant and interesting;
- to investigate any complaints relating to the misuse of the Website, Affiliated Websites or an Account;
- to comply with our legal obligations;
- to respond to any questions or comments you have sent to us;
- unless you select otherwise, to send you promotions or information about Products from the Website or Affiliated Websites;
- where you create an account, to verify your identity as an Account holder;
- where you create an Account, to personalise aspects of the Website for you (e.g. prepopulating certain information that may need to be completed when you transact with us using the Website); and
- any other use that you authorise.
3. Your Ability to Opt Out
3.1 You will have the option to choose to not receive certain types of communications from us. Any emails we send will also always contain a link at the bottom enabling you to be removed from our general mailing list or, where you have an Account, you can unsubscribe via your Account page. If you elect not to receive communications or ask to be removed from a mailing list we may still send you communications where it is necessary to provide you with details of any purchases you have made, changes to our services, or the way the Website or Account is to operate.
3.2 When making an order we also request card or other payment account information which is maintained in encrypted form on secure servers. We do not retain or share this information with any third party except for those companies responsible for processing transactions for us (section 4(b) below explains how we do this).
3.3 You will have the option to choose not to save your credit card or other payment account information on the Website. If you elect not to save your credit card or other payment account information you will need to resubmit this information for each purchase made from the Website.
4. Disclosure of Information
We will only share personal information with other organisations or individuals in the following limited circumstances:
- We engage other companies and individuals to perform services on our behalf. Examples include fulfilling orders, delivering packages, sending communications, maintaining customer lists, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, providing search results and links (including paid listings and links), processing credit card payments and providing customer service. We will ensure that they agree to use personal information only as required to perform their functions (and not for other purposes), and to process the personal information in accordance with applicable privacy laws.
- Online payments on Toys.co.nz are made through a secure website using a trusted payment services provider who we have contracted with. When you provide us with your card details, and if you instruct us to save your card details for future transactions, we retain only part of those card details, before sending them to our payment services provider using encryption to protect them during transmission. Our payment services provider will then securely store your card details in accordance with its own security protocols, and electronically confirm to us that your details are valid each time you wish to make a transaction. Handling your card details in this manner helps us ensure that they are securely stored at all times and that we do not store your card details after they are transmitted.
- Only where we have your consent to do so, we may provide your personal information to other merchants or organisations so they may send you communications about other products, services or events.
- We may need to disclose information to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or government request.
- If we consider you are infringing the intellectual property rights of any person, we may disclose relevant information to the relevant authorities, any internet search provider that you use to access the Website, and/or the applicable rights holders (or their representatives).
5. Cookies and Tracking
5.1 We may use cookie files containing information that can identify the computer you are working from. A cookie file is anonymous and is only used to identify visits from the same web browser. We may use the information generated by "cookies" to:
- track traffic patterns to and from the Website and Affiliated Websites, including information like the pages you visit, the time you spend on each page, the date and time of your visit, and pages you came from or go to;
- ensure advertising is being shown to the most appropriate person and limit the frequency of display for certain ad formats; and
- enable you to enter the Website or Affiliated Websites and use certain services without having to log on each time, and to visit Account-restricted areas of the Website or Affiliated Websites.
6. Content Providers, Advertisers and Partners
Our Website and the Affiliated Websites contain links to other sites, which may not follow the same privacy policies as us. We recommend that you check any relevant privacy policies before providing your personal information to any third party.
We use software and systems which analyse information about our Website and Affiliated Websites, such as the number of page views, the number of unique visitors, how long these visitors spend on the Website and Affiliated Websites, and common entry and exit points into and from the Website and Affiliated Websites. This information is collected and aggregated so you cannot be identified personally and no personal information is stored about you.
As no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit or receive through the Website or any Affiliated Website. These activities are conducted at your own risk.
9. Changes to Policy
We reserve the right to change this policy at any time. We will notify users of any changes by updating the "last updated" notice on the Website. By continuing to use the Website and Affiliated Websites, you agree to be bound by the amended policy. You should check from time to time to see if the policy has changed.
10. Holding, Correcting and Updating
10.1 Under the Privacy Act 1993 you have the right to access and correct personal information that we hold about you.
10.2 Any personal information that you provide to us will be collected and held by us at [insert Toys.co.nz registered address]. It may also be stored in data centres managed by our service providers (although they do not have access to your personal information and this will not affect your ability to access it on request).
10.3 Although we take reasonable steps to ensure that all data we use is accurate, we depend on our users to update or correct their personal information whenever necessary. We offer the ability for users to correct or change their personal information online at any time and as often as necessary by contacting us.
10.4 If you have any questions about how our services work or regarding this statement, please contact us.
10.5 For information about New Zealand's Privacy Act 1993 and how it protects the personal information of individuals in New Zealand,[click here].